Asan Medical Center Introduction
Since its establishment in June 1989, Asan Medical Center has achieved its status as a world-class, patient-centered medical institution through generous investment in clinical treatment and R&D.
Asan Medical Center has also carried out its social responsibility as ‘Korea’s Most Respected Hospital’ by fulfilling the spirit of ‘Respect for Life’ and ‘Sharing pain with neighbors.’
Asan Medical Center is leading the medical development of Korea with competitive medical skills and cutting-edge technology, comparable to other world leading hospitals.
Asan Medical Center is the ‘parent’ hospital among the eight hospitals under the ASAN Foundation. Since its establishment in 1977, the ASAN Foundation has been providing non-profit programs in social and medical welfare, scholarship, and academic research. In particular, the ASAN Foundation opened hospitals in rural areas where modern medical resources are scarce, fulfilling the mission of the founder, late Chairman Chung Ju-yung - ‘serving the neediest in our society.’
Global medical complex - Asan Medical Center
Asan Medical Center is the largest medical institution in Korea with a total of 2,715 beds, occupying a total floor area of approximately 280,000 square meters (85,000 pyeong).
With world-class medical professionals, optimal treatment system, and state-of-the-art medical equipment based on advanced medical systems and practicing customer satisfaction, Asan Medical Center has been leading the medical development of Korea.
As a result, Asan Medical Center sees annually 3,439,834 outpatients, 919,339 inpatients, and 101,249 emergency patients and performs about 71,844 highly sophisticated surgeries per year. As the most visited hospital in Korea, Asan Medical Center is now honored as Korea’s top hospital.
Outpatients (per year)
Emergency patients (per year)
Inpatients (per year)
- The most respected hospital in Korea for 15 consecutive years
- Korean Management Association Consulting (KMAC) (from 2007 to 2021)
- No. 1 in great workplaces in Korea - KMAC, 2012
- No. 1 in KS.SQI - Korean Standards Association, 2012
- No. 1 in global customer satisfaction survey for four consecutive years
- Japanese Management Association Consulting (JMAC) (From 2008 to 2011)
- Grand prize for global standard management in the social responsibility category - KMAR, 2010
- No. 1 in national customer satisfaction index (NCSI) - KPC, 2010
- Selected as a research-driven hospital (customized anticancer therapy, medical robot system and medical equipment, chronic disease, U-healthcare, development of molecular imaging technology, development of infection disease treatment, adult stem cell-based cell therapy) - Ministry of Health and Welfare, 2013.
- No. 1 in successful organ transplantations on liver, kidney, pancreas, and heart - Korea Network for Organ Sharing (KONOS), 2012.
- First class in operative mortality rate of gastric cancer, colon cancer, liver cancer - Health Insurance Review & Assessment Service, 2012.
- No. 1 in number of patients and treatments - National Health Insurance Corporation, 2011.
- No. 1 in successful surgeries on 9 of 10 most common cancers
- Health Insurance Review & Assessment Service (HIRA), 2007, 2006.
- Korea’s No. 1 in performing surgeries on top 6 cancer patients
- Ministry of Health and Welfare, 2007
- Korea’s No. 1 in performing surgeries on 30 major diseases
- National Health Insurance Corporation, 2006
- Selected - Ministry of Health and Welfare
Establishing a global standard as a world leader in medicine – Asan Medical Center
Medical development is made possible when ceaseless efforts in research of basic science, numerous clinical trials, diverse treatment experience, advanced medical techniques, and the spirit of respecting life are intertwined.
Now, as the leader, not a competitor, of Korea’s medical development, Asan Medical Center strives to become the ‘Global standard in global medicine.’
To this end, Asan Medical Center is committed to R&D of basic medicine and new drug and clinical research to conquer cancer through industry-university-research institute collaboration centered on Asan Institute for Life Sciences and Clinical Research Center.
Modern advanced medicine is no longer confined merely to treating diseases, easing pain, and speeding up recovery. It aims to eradicate the root causes of disease to lead a healthy life without suffering from any disease.
Asan Medical Center is at the forefront of the development of future advanced medicine with future cutting-edge medical research which organically combines medicine and engineering. Here, the Clinical Research Center is recognized for its exceptional ability in clinical research as it plays a pivotal role in medical development by focusing on research activities instead of theoretical studies while signing clinical trials agreements with world leading pharmaceutical companies.
Leading the Future of Health
Asan Medical Center is giving back to society and fulfilling the founding spirit of Asan through medical assistance for our needy neighbors.
To put this will into practice, Asan Medical Center hopes to become a warm-hearted hospital sharing the pain of patients by fulfilling the objectives of ‘Maintaining world-class medical service,’ ‘Together with neighbors,’ and ‘Sharing and consideration.’
Asan Medical Center is consistently striving to become a warm and kind hospital, like a family, for patients.